Ritz picture house was opened in 1920, all seated was on a single floor, in 1938, plans were proposed to enlarge the building by adding a balcony, but found the foundations were not strong enough, so the picture house was demolished.
A new cinema was built in the Art Deco style, and it opened it’s door to the public in September 1939 owned by a local business man called George Smith, known locally as picture Smith. The cinema was given seating provided in stalls and circles levels. The proscenium was 25 feet wide. The Ritz Cinema closed in 1980 and was converted into a bingo club, being called Ritz bingo and social club which closed around 2007.
Today the building has been renamed as The Retro Suite, keeping most of the Art Deco style in and outside of the building, while being refurbished throughout with modern technology., turning it into a great venue centre for the community of South Wigston and Leicestershire to use.
The photograph shows Mr. Alan Kind presenting the Civic Society Commendation to the Manager Mr. Carl Waters and Mr. Atwall one of the owners.